Our Healthy Holiday Series: Keep It Simple!
December 16, 2015
Dr. Catherine Nutting, Family Nurse Practitioner, Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine
Focus on the simple things in life that bring you the greatest joy and happiness!
Focus on the quality rather than the quantity of holiday events
Set healthy boundaries and kindly say no
Avoid overextending your holiday “to do” list
Enjoy a sunset, sit by the fire, take time to relax
Enjoy the love and companionship of family and friends
Savor holiday aromas
Be mindful of seasonal sights and sounds
Take time to appreciate children laughing and playing
– – – – – – –
WHOLISTIC RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Dr. Cathy’s Fireside Cocoa
- 1 scoop Thorne Medipro All-In-One Chocolate Shake Mix
- 1 cup organic unsweetened almond, coconut, or rice milk
- 3 mini marshmallows (click here for vegan and allergy sensitive option)
- 2 Tbsp So Delicious Dairy Free CocoWhip Whipped Topping or make your own (see below)
- ¼ tsp organic cinnamon
- 1 organic peppermint stick or candy cane (e.g., TruJoy Sweets)
- Heat milk over stove until hot
- Add chocolate protein powder and remove from heat when dissolved
- Top with marshmallows and dairy free whip cream (or make your own)
- Sprinkle with organic cinnamon
- Add organic peppermint stick
ENJOY WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS!
– – – – – – –
WHOLISTIC HEALTH TIP OF THE WEEK
Simple Flu Prevention Strategies
- Optimize vitamin D levels.
- Have your vitamin D levels tested
- Improve vitamin D levels (to a minimum of 50ng/ml) with sunshine and professional supplementation
- Recheck lab levels three months after adding or adjusting vitamin D dose
- Adjust treatment according to follow-up labs, per provider recommendation
- Take a daily probiotic.
- Use our At First Signs of Illness immune protocol as soon as you feel the flu symptoms coming on.
- Assess with your provider your personal risks & benefits for influenza vaccine administration.