Preconception to Infancy
At Wholistic Pediatrics & Family Care, we utilize a variety of strategies during preconception, pregnancy, and infancy to try to prevent chronic and debilitating medical conditions in newborns and young children, as well as in older patients. Many of our families, especially those who already have one or more children with chronic conditions, are eager to do what they can to increase the likelihood of a healthy, well-adjusted child.
From Preconception to Infancy: Environmental and Nutritional Strategies for Lowering the Risk of Autism (Original article by Dr. Berger in Autism Science Digest, April 2012)
Some of our approaches include:
- Supporting the body with proper vitamins, minerals, and other supplements
- Avoiding or minimizing toxic exposures
- Enhancing maternal nutrition
- Assessing maternal food allergies and intolerances
- Screening for maternal hypothyroidism
- Controlling maternal fungal and bacterial infections
- Promoting breastfeeding and introducing solid foods with care
- Carefully weighing the pros and cons of postnatal interventions including vaccines.